I also believe that this movie got awards either because the rest of the films were worse than this or due to strong lobbying by Malayalis. Before anyone jumps the gun, let me reason out my claim that Kutti Sranku is a terrible film.
1)Some of the scenes were terribly executed. To be honest, direction is the worst part of the film. The scenes where the mishaps happen (the cross falling and the other Rathja on the boat falling). The scene where Mammootty fights the Monk is a joke at best. Although I admit that the monk was a pretty good actor.
2)performances for most part is over the top. Mammooti's performance was very stilted and at no point did he seem comfortable under the skin of Kutti Sranku. The other fair looking female lead was overacting even in an art film. Her reactions when she sees herself (bloodied and younger) and when Moopen makes noise with his feet were actually enough to be recommended for the worst actress of the year award. The mute girl was acting like a schizzo and not like a mute at all. Her overacting was all over the place and I felt like the director had made a wrong choice and didn't know how to get rid of the actress in the middle after paying half of her salary (probably).
One superb thing about the movie is the idea of a person playing three different characters.
3) Narration is a simple copy from the Orson Welle's film Citizen Kane. Where multiple character depict what they felt about a character.
Re: Kutti Sranku is...
by samyakgowda on Dec 12, 2010 08:11 PM
What I liked...
1) The scenes where they perform dramas are very nicely done. The songs are kind of catchy and very soothing to hear.
3) Inspite of his stilted performance, Mammootty has done a pretty decent role, though he cannot remotely come close to being the best actor. Biradar had done an outstanding job and a million times better job than Mammooty in the Kannada film "Kanasemba Kudureyaneri".
3) Cinematography is pretty impressive. Maybe the best of the year from among all the art films I have seen.
4) Kamalini has done a pretty decent job and so has the other actress who commits suicide.
Re: Kutti Sranku is actually...
by samyakgowda on Dec 12, 2010 08:07 PM
1)Some of the scenes were terribly executed. To be honest, direction is the worst part of the film. The scenes where the mishaps happen (the cross falling and the other Rathja on the boat falling). The scene where M
Even after 100 days of its release, i saw pranjiyettan running housefull in sangeetha theatre in cochin today. Though sangeetha is a small theatre, it showing housefull board even now for pranjiyettan shows how much of a crowd puller it has been! And considering it is a comparatively low budget film, it would have made its producers ecstatic and jubiliant
Kutty Sranku could have been better ,it was visually good ,great perfomance from Mamooty and some of the co stars,but as a movie it was just going nowhere,I would term it as an average movie...what was the director trying to convey in this movie? same goes for Mummy and Me ...currently malayalam movies have run out of good scripts...they have to choose these movies because these are comparitivily better than the others released this year...so you can imagine how bad the others should be ..the days of Padmarajan,Bharthan,scripts by MT Vasudevan Nair all are just a memory....really sad