Discussion Board

Choose the right contact lenses

Total 9 messages Pages | 1
y y
its a bunder article???
by y y on Feb 12, 2008 07:30 AM

if u wanna comment me please comment to na_orkut@yahoo.co.in

    Forward  |  Report abuse
y y
its a bunder article???
by y y on Feb 12, 2008 07:28 AM

i agree that the article is written after having knowledge but it is specifying
"The first thing you need to do is to get your eyes examined at the ophthalmologist and not an optical shop"
that means only opthalmolagist are suitable for prescribing CL but in fact optometriest have more knowledge about contact lens than opthalmolagist,they are specially trained for contact lens only.what does that mean not an optical shop is shops like lawrence and mayo,more,saberies,eye tech opticals(hyderabad) are not the proper place to check, more over it indicates that only 3 recommended brands are their than what about other famous brands,i think it should be etc.

    Forward  |  Report abuse
Rajesh Wadhwa
CL-who can handle?
by Rajesh Wadhwa on May 19, 2006 12:14 AM

While the article is well written, oversight reflects that there is only one kind of eye-care practitioner. We must not forget the "optometrist" who spends 4 years in professional training to become an expert at contact lens fitting & management. In all western countries also it is the optometrist who fits contact lenses.
Also, issues about "oxygen permeability", care system, regular follow-up visits are significant.
-Rajesh Wadhwa
Optometrist, New Delhi
Fellow-International Association of
contact lens educators(Australia)

    Forward  |  Report abuse
Ajay Sachdeva
Nice article but misleading too!
by Ajay Sachdeva on May 18, 2006 05:38 PM  | Hide replies

Though the information provided in the article is fairly correct and useful but I would like to add that other than an Ophthalmologist an Optometrist is also a competent and professional person whom one can and one should approach for getting contact lenses. An Optometrist is better equiped and highly experienced with the task of fitting as well as managing complications related to contact lens usage. And of course the same doesn't hold true for an Optician, as per your article too, who is qualified just to dispense spectacle lenses and sunwear.

    Forward  |  Report abuse
Message awaiting moderator review
Nilesh D. Thite
Please be careful before making statements
by Nilesh D. Thite on May 18, 2006 12:36 AM  | Hide replies

It is mentioned in the article that one needs to get his eyes examined only from an Ophthalmologist and not in an optical shop.

It seems that the correspondent is unaware of a profession called 'OPTOMETRY'. An institutionally qualified Optometrist is a primary eye care professional who can conduct a detailed eye examination and is specialised in fitting various types of contact lenses too. Many qualified optometrists are practicing in optical outlets.

In order to enable the ophthalmologists to perform their primary responsibilities of treating eye diseases by medical and surgical intervention, the Optometrists are performing eye examination and fitting contact lenses all over the country and even worldwide.

It is unprofessional and unethical to generalise and give incomplete information, specially on a site as widely read as rediff.

Nilesh D. Thite
M. Optometry, FIACLE (Australia)
Sr. Lecturer,
Bharati Vidyapeeth School of Optometry, Pune, India.

    Forward  |  Report abuse
y y
RE:Please be careful before making statements
by y y on Feb 12, 2008 07:43 AM
wht he said is trueee............

   Forward   |   Report abuse
Total 9 messages Pages: | 1
Write a message